This seminar series deals with the execution of Trompe l’oeil murals. Trompe l’oeil is French and means ‘Deceive the eye’. The art form of illusionistic mural painting that was already performed in ancient Greece, arrived in the Renaissance in its heyday, when the fresco painters rediscovered the for a long time forgotten art of perspective views. This form of illusionistic mural painting was developed in the Renaissance, when the Fresco painters rediscovered the for a long time lost art of perspective views. This enabled the design of three-dimensional and so deceptively real-looking objects and architectural elements on two-dimensional surfaces. Along with the color perspective so murals could be produced which to the observer appeared as a real world behind the walls and ceilings.
The in this course series achieved capabilities not only provide a valuable aid in the execution of classic murals but also is helpful in the performance of contemporary mural styles such as graffiti or street art.
The courses are structured in a way that they build on each other and enable you after the successful completion of the series to an independent execution of a Trompe l’oeil mural.
Duration: 6 days per course
Workshop 1: Introduction Workshop
- Techniques of mural painting: Yesterday and Today
- Perspective: linear and color perspective
- Topic selection and design creation
- Materials science: paints, brushes and airbrush
- Preparation of underground
- Image: The scenery principle
- Transfer of sketches on the wall
- Practice: execution of an illusionistic architecture element
Workshop 2: Illusionistic architecture & architecture decors
- Dealing with brush and airbrush
- Production of masks
- Work with different perspective points
- Stone walls
- Illusionistic door and window frames
- Making of decors by grisaille painting
Workshop 3: Landscapes & Vegetation
- Development of landscapes: from the background to the foreground
- Separation of the landscape levels by air / fume effects
- Water surfaces and Reflection
- Manufacture of space by landscape perspective: Shaping concise landscape elements.
- Vegetation: Effect instead od efforts: Practical execution by the right brush selection and the right brushwork
Workshop 4: Ceiling Painting
- Production of sky views
- Cloud Perspective
- Birds and butterflies
- Tendrils and leaves
- Ceiling Architecture: The world seen from below
The workshops of Trompe l’oeil Wall Painting Workshops series meet for 5 1/2 days, 8 hours per day (from 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM). You will have the rest of the time to wander around Granada and the vicinity.
Workshop Prices: Tuition fee per workshop: $2,000
For a package price incl. tuition fee and hotel/breakfast: ask for special offer
Special offer: $200 off when ordering the whole workshop package
To reserve your place: we require a non-refundable $50 deposit.
To secure your place: you need to pay a deposit of $450 prior to start of workshop
Full payment is required 5 days prior to start of workshop